Rajiv Gandhi University of Knowledge Technologies (RGUKT) Basar was established as a university in Andhra Pradesh (A.P), India. In March 2008, the then AP Government created RGUKT by an act of the Legislature as a full-fledged university which would initially admit approximately the top 1% of the rural students into the three residential campuses located at Basar, Nuzvid, and R K Valley (Idupulapai- Kadapa). The first batch of about 6,000 tenth class students got admitted into a six year integrated program in August 2008.
Subsequently, due to the bifurcation of the erstwhile state of Andhra Pradesh into Telangana and Andhra Pradesh in the year 2015, the three campuses too got divided between the two states. Currently, the Basar campus of RGUKT is the only one that is functioning in the state of Telangana.
RGUKT Educational Objectives:
- The primary objective of establishing RGUKT was to provide high quality educational opportunities for the talented rural youth of Andhra Pradesh. The initial goal was that at least the top 1% of the rural X class passed out students would be given the opportunity to study at RGUKT. RGUKT, Basar, has followed the same objective and is now catering to the talented rural youth of the various districts of Telangana.
- RGUKT, Basar, accepts 1000 students every year as intake into the PUC course as part of a 6-year integrated program and aims to graduate them with a B.Tech. degree.
- The key educational objective of RGUKT is to use advances in learning sciences and explore the use of modern cognitive science tools in education and learning.
- Phrases such as "Learning by Example", "Learning by Doing", "Problem-Based Learning", "Self-Paced Learning", etc become facilitated when every student can be assured to have a personal computer that does not have to be shared with anyone else. Every student is therefore issued a laptop from the very first class right up to the end of his/her 6 year stay in campus.
- RGUKT believes in reinforcing core values of integrity, respect for all, and care for environment.
- The University looks to disseminate and advance knowledge in the emerging fields such as Information Technology, Nanotechnology, Cloud Computing, Data Analytics, Internet of Things etc.
- To make special provisions for integrated courses including Humanities, Social Sciences and other interdisciplinary areas to impart broad-based education including soft skills.
- To function as a resource centre for knowledge management and entrepreneurship development in the domain of emerging technologies.
- To establish close linkage with industry and to make teaching and research at the University relevant to the needs of the economy, at national and global levels.