UGC Guidelines for the Establishment of the SC/ST CellAccording to the 1998 UGC Guidelines for the establishment of Special Cell for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes, for the Universities and deemed Universities, the purpose of these Cells is to monitor the admission of students and the recruitment of teaching and non-teaching staffs at various levels. Its function is also to help the SC/ST categories to integrate with the mainstream of the University community and to remove difficulties, which they may be experiencing.
ObjectivesAccording to the UGC Guidelines of 1998, following are the objectives of the Cell to:
- Implement the reservation policy for SCs/STs in the Universities and colleges;
- Collect data regarding the implementation of the policies in respect of admissions, appointments to teaching and non-teaching positions in the universities, and in the affiliating colleges and analysis of the data showing the trends and changes towards fulfilling the required quota;
- Take such follow up measures for achieving the objectives and targets laid down for the purpose by the GOI and the UGC; and
- Implement, monitor continuously and evaluate the reservations policy in universities and colleges and plan measures for ensuring effective implementation of the policy and programmes of the GOI.
FunctionsAccording to the UGC Guidelines of 1998, following are the functions of the Cell to:
- Circulate GOI and Commission’s decisions and to collect regularly, on an annual basis, information regarding course-wise admissions to candidates belonging to the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes in the Universities and Colleges for different courses, in suitable forms prescribed, by a stipulated date, and to take follow up action, where required;
- Circulate GOI orders and Commission’s decisions and to collect information in respect of appointment, training of these communities in teaching and nonteaching posts in the Universities and Colleges, in suitable forms by a stipulated date and take follow up action where required;
- Collect reports and information regarding the GOI orders on the various aspects of education, training and employment of Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe candidates, for evolving new policies or modifying existing policy by the Commission;
- Analyse information on admissions, education, training and employment of SCs and STs, and prepare reports and digests for onward transmission to the Ministry of Human Resource Development/University Grants Commission and such other authorities as may be required;
- Deal with representations received from Scheduled Castes and Tribes candidates regarding their admission, recruitment, promotion and other similar matters in Universities/Colleges;
- Monitor the working of the remedial coaching scheme, if approved in the affiliated colleges and university;
- Function as a Grievances Redressal Cell for the grievances of SC/ST students and employees of the university and render them necessary help in solving their academic as well as administrative problems;
- Maintain a register for employment of SCs/STs in the University and Colleges for the candidates belonging to SC/ST community for various posts in the university/ colleges; and
- Any other work assigned from time to time to promote higher education among these two communities suffering economic, social and educational deprivations.